In an effort to be green, Willey Boston strives to be mindful and implement sustainable environmental practices. Here are some of the little things we do to reduce our carbon footprint, and often lower our monthly bills to boot.
Reuse boxes and packaging, recycle whenever possible.
- Reuse or recycle boxes & packaging material. For shipments, Willey reuses the best-looking cardboard boxes and packing material, and recycles any remaining boxes, cardboard or packing peanuts.
- Recycle other material. Willey recycles anything that is recyclable – from paper, plastic and glass to old batteries and light bulbs.
Minimize paper use.
- Use eco-friendly packaging. Willey uses natural Kraft paper, which will decompose quickly. So our bags, gift boxes, tissue paper and wrapping paper will not be taking up space in landfills. On the other hand, our beautiful Italian cotton ribbon is meant to be reused.
- Use the computer & email to create electronic invoices and purchase orders, and pay bills online eliminating extra paper work and the need to mail documents.
- Use recycled-content paper products such as printing paper and paper towels.
- Eliminate junk mail – a never-ending battle for Willey.
Use less electricity.
- Switch to CFL bulbs. Willey switched from incandescent light bulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs, which use up to 75 percent less energy and can last up to eight years. So not only did we lower our electricity use, we spend less time climbing an 8-foot ladder changing burnt out bulbs. Another bonus, these bulbs emit less heat, so the boutique stays cooler during the summer months.
- Use Energy Star products. Our printers are energy efficient and should last longer than older models.
- Install electrical timers. Besides turning off lights, Willey installed electrical timers to turn off display lights.
- Allow the computer to sleep. When inactive, our computer sleeps which minimizes electricity use as well as extending the computer's life.
- Unplug appliances when not in use. For some of our appliances, we unplug the item to prevent "phantom" or "vampire" energy use.
Lower heating costs.
- Use storm windows. On old buildings, Willey likes to retain the original wavy glass windows. As old windows can be quite drafty, Willey installs unobtrusive storm windows to maintain the historic look of the old glass windows, and cut the draft. Fortunately, in our space, we have storm windows that cover our large windows, keeping us warm in the winter.
- Use programmable thermostat. Our programmed thermostat adjusts the heat automatically so we won’t accidently leave the heat on high for an extended period.
Other small steps to reduce our environmental impact.
- Minimize water use. By placing a bottle filled with water in the back of our toilet tank, we displace enough water to save one-half gallon of water per use.
- Use fewer paper cups & plastic utensils. Willey has a collection of store glassware, mugs, plates and silverware.